The History of Pickles:
Pickles are the foods that have been subjected to the pickling process, and it is one of the methods that have been used in preserving foodstuffs for more than 4000 years, and it takes a special place in daily meals. Therefore, it becomes an essentials part of the Arab world table. Pickles can be made from several types of vegetables, such as cucumber, olives, eggplant, pepper, cabbage, lemon, and Cauliflower.
The pickles industry spread in the Baltic era when queen Cleopatra included pickles in her diet and it was said that it was the reason for her legendary health and beauty that poets sang, and the Roman men were forcing the army to eat pickles, believing that it would make them stronger.
According to some sources, pickles contributed to Columbus’s discovery of the Americas in 1492, as many voyages were prevented at that time due to the spread of scurvy among the sailors, Amerigo Vespucci, who is responsible for supplies, stocked amounts of pickles that are rich in vitamin C in the voyage ships; This helped prevent the spread of disease on this voyage that crossed the Atlantic, and accordingly, America took its name from the pickles merchant Amerigo, who became later an explorer.
The Nutritional Value of Pickles:
Pickles contain vitamin C, K, and A, and provide the body with the menials of iron, potassium, and calcium, in addition to containing various nutrients, such as fats, carbohydrates, proteins, and fibers. And it is free of saturated fats and cholesterol.
Benefits of Pickles:
• It resists harmful microbes in the stomach.
• It stimulates salivary and gastric juices and the digestive process.
• Protects the body from anemia.
• It is a rich source of various vitamins and nutrients.
• It is considered aperitif.
Disadvantages of Pickles:
Despite the benefits and nutritional values of pickles, it is not considered safe for people who suffer from high blood pressure or any health problems in the heart or blood vessels because it contains high quantities of salt and vinegar, which helps to preserve it, that causes infections in the digestive system, harms the health of the colon, and increases the proportion of toxins in the body.
General Conditions That Must Be Met in Pickles:
• It must be free of fermented gases, or insects and their parts.
• It must be free of insect and fungal infections.
• It shall be free of unpleasant odors, rotting, and fermentation.
• It should be free of any preservatives and artificial colors.
• The solution should be free of sediments.
• Containers must be clean and locked.
The Following Data Shall Be Written in A Clear Fixed Font on The Packages:
• The name of the item.
• Coloring materials.
• The name of the product and its trademark, or one of them.
• Phrase: Production (EG).
• The net weight of the package contents.
Pickles Damage Signs:
Pickles are exposed to several types of damage, which can be summarized as follows:
1. Shriveling: This is caused by a decrease in volume due to the effect of moisture loss due to higher
concentrations of salt, sugar, or vinegar added to the packing solution.
2. Hollowness: Happens due to genetic defects in raw materials or due to gas formation and retention.
3. Slippery pickles: This occurs as a result of fermentation at high temperatures.
4. Dark pickles: It is caused by the activity of other harmful bacteria resulting from excess sugar and low
acidity, which produce a black pigment that dissolves in water causing blackening of the product.
5. Growth of Micro derma: is a white substance that grows on the surface of the pickles, and causes damage through
the consumption of lactic acid, lowering the pH of water, and preventing its access to the vessels, which
results in the appearance of membranes of yeasts similar to the layer of oil on the surface of the pickle.
We, at Zadona Agro-Industrial Company, one of the Sinokrot Holding Companies, and the first Palestinian company specialized in agricultural industries and pickles, are distinguished by the production of pickles by the method of pasteurization that eliminates the growth of microbes, which do not need to add any preservatives. To know more about our company please follow us on social networks.